Our idea of a get-together

(26 May 2013) After Pablo, Baganga transformed from being a progressive town to a cradle of destruction. Nearly six months after the calamity, it is still evident that the lives of the people living here are far from normal. But even after this tragedy, there would still be some places that each nature lover would be excited to visit.

Since it's a Sunday, the various program teams of our organization decided to have a break and to experience the beauty of Baganga. Of all the places nearby, we chose San Victor Island. This island is located in Brgy. San Victor, in the Municipality of Baganga.

We left the office/staff house in Cateel around 9:30am. After about a 45-minute drive, we arrived at the bay area where we will ride the pump boat that will bring us to the nearby island. According to some co-workers, the island is owned by a priest in one of the parishes in Baganga.


The island as seen from the mainland

Approaching the island aboard the pump boat

This is what I first saw as soon as we docked.

At first glance, you would really notice its serenity. The only people in the island were us, the boatmen and a caretaker. According to the approximation (or perhaps from some other source), the island stretch is about 3.5 kilometers.

The island is approximately 2 kilometers away from
mainland Baganga.

You can still see the debris brought by the winds of
Pablo to the shores of the island. 

I just wonder how much more beautiful this island was before the typhoon struck this area of Mindanao. Perhaps, this could be more comparable to a paradise island as it is right now.




Various sights/angles of the island (4 photos)



My co-workers enjoying the clear waters of San Victor
Virgin Island. (2 photos)
 I took advantage of the serenity and tranquility that the island offers. For about an hour or two, I distanced myself from the rest of the group to appreciate the beauty of nature and to reflect on things as well. Now, this is solitude. A moment with myself was all that I needed to finalize a major career decision.

As I was walking, I noticed that my footprint was imprinted
behind a cute shell. It got my attention; hence, this.

Some more of my footprints in the sand

The fine sand was comparable to that of some pristine beaches publicized by the Department of Tourism. I was even tempted to do what most Filipinos do when awed by the fineness of beach sand - grab some of it home. Too bad I wasn't so Filipino that I forgot to realize my plan. LOL.

This is what San Victor Island offers in terms of its sand.
 The activity for the day basically revolved around merry-making. Some grabbed a couple of shots while others laughed at what the drunk people were doing. This was really a day off of our work. Everyone reminded each one to not talk about work and just enjoy the day.

The group decided to have a group shot
before leaving the island.

This is our head of office in Cateel. She is French.



Last sight of the island as we were to board the pump boat
back to the mainland. (top photo) I also got to witness
the (almost) sunset right before leaving the island. (photo below)
 We left the island around 5:30 in the afternoon. All in all, a few hours in the island rejuvenated our spirits. I can say that most, if not all of us, are again ready to serve the people of Davao Oriental come Monday. Surely, we needed this! ***

1 comments:

  1. ... san victor island is a rarity ... pristine ... you are lucky to have been able to visit such a place of beauty and serenity unspoiled by tourists ... God bless and protect you always Bong ... Mommy Nette

    ReplyDelete

 

Meet The Blogger

This blog is intended to share to the world what my eyes can see. As a writer-turned-superhero, I am living my life one step at a time.

For more information, contact me here.

Twitter Updates